5/8 cup margarine
1/2 cup organic cane sweetener
1 egg (beaten)
1 tbsp dried lavender flowers
1 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream the margarine and sugar together. Next, stir in the egg. Mix in the lavender flowers and the flour.
2. Grease two cookie sheets and drop spoonfuls of the mixture on them. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes until the cookies are golden.
Lemon Balm Cookies
8 tablespoons (1stick) margarine, at room temperature
cup organic can sweetener
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
cup fresh lemon balm leaves, finely chopped
(Alternatively, use 1/8 cup dried lemon balm leaves)
1. Cream together the margarine and the sugar until fluffy.
2. Add the egg, flour, and lemon balm and mix until slightly crumbly but firm enough to gather into a dough ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and press until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 F. Take the dough out of the refrigerator to come back to room temperature.
4. Roll out the dough and cut into whatever cookie shapes you would like and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Bake until golden around the edges but not hard. Stores in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Strawberry-Lemon Balm Scones
2 2/3 cups organic whole-wheat pastry flour
3 tablespoons organic can sweetener
5 teaspoons baking powder
10 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) margarine
cup organic strawberries, sliced and rolled in flour
2 tablespoons fresh lemon balm leaves (or 2 tablespoons dried)
2 large eggs
1 cup almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a baking sheet.
2. Blend the flour, sugar, and baking powder together in a bowl.
3. Add the margarine and mix until crumbly.
4. Add the strawberries and lemon balm and blend lightly.
5. Whisk together the eggs and almond milk in another bowl. Add all but 1 tablespoon of this to the flour mixture. Stir.
6. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 4 to 6 turns. This is important to be exact for consistency in scones. Cut the dough in half and pat each half into an oval about 10 inches long and 4 inches wide. Cut each oval first lengthwise and then crosswise to make 8 triangle shaped
7. Place the scones on the baking sheet and brush the tops with the remaining egg and almond milk mixture. Bake until golden on top, about 12 minutes.
Raspberry-Lemon Balm Vinegar
1 cup organic distilled white vinegar
1 cup organic red raspberries
3 sprigs of lemon balm (about 8 inches)
1. Bring raspberries and vinegar to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
2. Pour through cheesecloth set over a small bowl. Once the liquid has drained off, press remaining sediment in cloth into the bowl.
3. Place the lemon balm sprigs in the jars that you plan to bottle your vinegar in. Pour strained vinegar mixture over the lemon balm.
4. When completely cooled, you may choose to remove the sprigs. Use right away or store in refrigerator indefinitely.